At M-KOPA, our mission is to make everyday essentials accessible to everyone. We believe everyone has the right to access credit with fair and transparent pricing – that’s why we focus on building a credit platform that meets customers’ needs and simultaneously enhances lives.
We are delighted and proud to celebrate M-KOPA’s growth and impact with the publication of our 2021 Impact Report.
To highlight just one story, Jonathan Antwi is an M-KOPA customer in Accra, Ghana. He says,
Jonathan isn’t alone. Here are some of the highlights of M-KOPA’s social and environmental impact at the end of 2021:
- $600 million of credit unlocked for customers;
- 4.5 million lives improved with life-changing products;
- Over 1 million solar home systems sold, avoiding 2 million tonnes of CO2 emissions;
- Over 1 million individuals access high-quality smartphones, enabling access to information and earning opportunities online;
- 86% of customers reported that the quality of their lives has improved because of M-KOPA
While much of this impact has been realized in our East African markets, Kenya and Uganda, we are encouraged by the rapid growth over 2020/21 in our newer businesses in West Africa – Nigeria and Ghana – a region that holds tremendous promise.
Despite the whirlwinds of economic uncertainty caused by COVID-19, throughout 2020 and 2021, M-KOPA defied global trends and created significant-high-quality employment. Between 2019 and 2021, our full-time staff more than doubled, with 944 additional jobs created. We have welcomed colleagues across Nigeria, Ghana, Poland, Ireland, Botswana, and around the world, bringing expertise and a diverse range of skills such as app development, data engineering, consumer data protection management, supply chain optimization, and more.
Our direct sales representatives have proven to be a force for good, having served as community coaches, guiding customers on the benefits of credit and how to navigate basic smartphone apps. At the end of 2021, M-KOPA expanded its sales force by 4x to 10,000 income-earning agents.
Looking forward to 2026, M-KOPA strives to increase the number of customers served by 10x and unlock over $7 billion of credit to support their progress, with impact and inclusion remaining core to our mission.
Since 2011, we have built a reputation for delighting our customers and impacting millions across the continent. Our thanks go to M-KOPA management, the 2,000-strong M-KOPA team, more than 10,000 sales agents who work with us day-in and day-out, and most of all, to the over 2 million customers whom we are so proud to serve.
To download the full report, please click here.
- All impact estimates are based on the principles outlined in GOGLA’s Standardized Impact Metrics for the Off-Grid Solar Energy Sector, aligned with the IRIS Metrics.
- All impact estimates are calculated based on the distribution of M-KOPA products sold directly across East and West Africa, with underlying variables based on customer surveys from Kenya, Uganda and Nigeria and analytics gathered through M-KOPA’s business intelligence platform.
- The report draws on an independent impact assessment carried out by 60 Decibels, a leading impact measurement company.